** TeenBoundaries is being externally evaluated by the Institute of Education, (University of London) in May 2013 we will publish the findings once complete*****
TeenBoundaries is part of Family Lives, and aims to prevent sexual bullying, peer on peer sexual exploitation and promotes positive gender relationships by challenging attitudes and promoting tolerance, understanding and cohesion between young people.
Our research with young people tell us that SRE (Sex and Relationship Education) is too focused on providing factual information on contraception and STIs (sexually transmitted infections). There is not enough attention on giving young people the skills they need to manage relationships, clarify attitudes and values and maintain boundaries.
To date we have provided 7000 young people (11-18 years old) with workshops and further provided individual mentoring, produced parent packs and tailored gender lessons for schools.
Delivered to single sexed and mixed groups 11 to 18 years.
- LESSON ONE: The causes and effects of early sexualisation (media influences, popularity mechanisms and how these affect behaviour within peer groups)
- LESSON TWO: The use of sexualised language and bullying.
- LESSON THREE: The effect of Cyber world; Sexting/Internet (porn-fantasy and reality) and how it adds to the issues of sexualised bullying; the use of Form Spring, Facebook, BBM etc. in Cyber Bullying.
- LESSON FOUR: Positive gender relationships; (including domestic violence) abuse in relationships.
- LESSON FIVE: Sexual violence; myths and facts, safety and awareness, reporting and further help, individual responsibility in stopping sexual violence.
- LESSON SIX: Sexual expectations and Pornography N.B. This is an age appropriate lesson- Recommended at age 16 + (Sixth form pupils)See this workshop in action:
- LESSON SEVEN: Teenage pregnancy and being a young mum and dad.
Delivered in CAROUSEL DAYS: Inset, off timetable days, enrichment days and healthy school days. PSHCE/CITIZENSHIPS lessons.
- TRAINING: Staff trainMing on delivering the workshops and embedding the workshops into the school curriculum.
***Please contact us to book or discuss the new primary school work: We have two 45/50/60 minute lessons***************************************************
In 2012 we have directly worked with:
- 120 hours girls/boys separate sessions –Year 8,9,10,11 and sixth formers.
- Provided material and case study for the Home Office – Abuse in Relationship campaigns.
- Received funding from the Home Office Crime Innovation Fund-Tackling those at risk of becoming young male perpetrators of sexual violence
“We have used Teen Boundaries with the whole of our Year 9. Each class has had 4 workshops delivered as part of the PSHCE programme. Leonie and her team have shown themselves to be very knowledgeable and articulate about the subject. Delivery of the workshops has been stimulating and professional and feedback from students very positive. We are hoping to extend the programme to our Year 10′s. We would have no hesitation in recommending the programme to other schools”.
The evaluations consist of 2 scale shift questions, 4 circle the answer questions, 5 tick box questions and 3 written questions.
Based on 1305 PUPILS from April 2010 to 1st October 2010.
- 99% of pupils felt it was a valuable use of their time.
- 95% of pupils did not feel happy with the way they look.
- 98% of pupils wanted follow-on lessons.
- 99% of pupils feel confused over why young people and adults wear sexy clothes.
Business Development Manager
49-51 East Road
London N1 6AH
Tel: 020 7553 3080